Volunteers needed to help kids with homework
The Keene Housing Kids Collaborative serves kids ages 0-18 living in properties owned or managed by Keene Housing. We are looking for independent, motivated individuals who are interested in helping children and youth succeed academically.
As a Homework Station volunteer, you will help students with their schoolwork, provide support as they learn, and lend an ear as they talk about their school experiences.
Homework Stations are located at Keene Housing properties and provide school aged children a place to do homework in a quiet, supported setting. Volunteers are needed to staff the Homework Stations M-Th 3-5pm during the school year. Volunteers self-schedule, and whether you are able to volunteer once a week, once a month – the same day every time, or at odd intervals, you can schedule whatever works for you.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 352-0109 for more information or to request an application.
Homework Station Volunteer Job Description
Objective: To act as helper, support, thought partner and coach to help motivate and guide students and help them with homework as needed. To provide a quiet, ordered space for students to do homework on their own.
Volunteers should be:
- Friendly and caring
- Dependable and flexible
- Patient and understanding
- Enthusiastic and encouraging
- Respectful and courteous
- Passionate about learning
Volunteers should have:
- A genuine appreciation for kids – an unconditional acceptance for students representing a wide range of family structures, cultures and backgrounds
- A desire to make a difference and contribute to the community by helping kids succeed in school
- A willingness to learn and apply effective tutoring methods
- Good communication skills
- Staffing the homework station for two hour shift, 3-5pm M-Th
- Place your homework station commitment high on your priority list.
- Talk to Youth Services Administrator if you have concerns or problems.
- Child Safety. Follow volunteer guidelines.
This is an on-going opportunity through the school year.