May 3rd is National Get Fit Don’t Sit Day, so we are calling attention to the importance of getting up and moving throughout the day as part of a healthy lifestyle. The American Diabetes Association recommends that everyone get up and move at least every 30 minutes.
Now set a timer and try some of these ways to move throughout the day.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator at the office and in the park far away from your destination.
- Get up and take a quick walk around your office – with a friend!
- Stand up and stretch at your desk. Need stretch ideas?
- If you go out for lunch, walk to the restaurant.
- If you take public transportation to work, get off one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way to your office.
- Use a speaker or mobile phone so you can pace around your office during conference calls.
- Try some chair exercises while at your desk.
- Fidget (when appropriate!)—Tap or wiggle your foot during meetings or while working at your desk.
Share this post and tell us if you met the goal of moving every 30 minutes! Thank you!