Reflect on your normal day. Do you:
- Sit in a car on your way to work?
- Sit at your desk?
- Sit during a meeting or two?
- Sit in a car on your way home?
- Sit when you get home?
Chances are that sounded pretty familiar to you. Most of your colleagues likely relate to that scenario as well. In fact, Americans spend about 55% of the time they are awake sitting, lying down, or reclining, putting themselves at risk for weight gain, heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic health conditions.
Given that most employees spend the majority of their waking hours in the workplace, employers can play a huge role in helping their employees stay healthy and productive. Indeed, many organizations right here in the Monadnock Region are taking steps to support their employees in being physically active throughout the work day; here are just a few examples of what they’re working on:
- On-site fitness rooms
- Walking trails and walking maps around the workplace
- Flexible scheduling
- Physical activity breaks
- Discounted fitness center memberships
- Bike racks
- Signs by the elevators to remind employees to take the stairs
Looking to learn more about how your organization can create an environment that supports physical activity? Start by contacting us or learn more by checking out these resources:
- Steps to Wellness: A guide to implementing the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans in the workplace
- A guide to writing and implementing a physical activity policy in the workplace
- Sample workplace activity policy
Ready to take action? Healthy Monadnock has experience helping organizations make these great improvements, and we want to help you, too. Simply send us an email at email@example.com.